Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I don't know of a better gift than kindness. It nurtures. It heals. It lightens. It has immediate impact, and costs nothing. During my most difficult times, a warm hug, a loving smile, or an understanding heart have been the forces that wash the ruminating thoughts and painful feelings out of my system. If no one is near to give me that compassionate, I try to give it to myself. I imagine an arm around my shoulder. I imagine an understanding heart being in my presence.

And so I am starting a blog about kindness. I am starting my own small movement to remind us all how powerful kindness can be.

Of course, when talking about kindness, I must also include the idea that kindness is not about having weak boundaries or allowing others to walk all over you. Kindness can be used when the answer is no. Kindness can be in play when we seek justice, hold ourselves and others accountable, and when there is a conflict to be resolved. But is only effective if it is real. Fake smiles do no good.

If you look around on the internet, you will find lots of sites about spreading kindness. Mine is just one more, and probably a lot less sophisticated, but it doesn't matter. In fact it's good. It's great that there are people everywhere who are thinking about how to make their own sphere a little bit kinder. Think of how much more pleasant work places could be if a boss or co-worker decided to show more patience. Think of how much gentler the world would be if families learned the language of kindness and used it.   As fearful as we are of one another, as ugly as our hidden or acknowledged prejudices may be, we can begin to cure them by waking up with the intention to be kind on this day--kinder than we ever thought of being before.

I have some plans for promoting a kinder world. Starting this blog is Step One. I'll let you know Step Two when I have it done. In the meantime, if you have any experiences giving, receiving,or witnessing kindness, please share them with me. It can only bring us hope, and we all need that.

No comments:

Post a Comment